Sunday, April 17, 2011

When things go wrong . .

This week I finished knitting a project that was disappointing in the end.  It was echo a drop-stitch mobius, the book excerpt in Spring 2011 Interweave Knits. Cowl, capelet or scarf, I really liked the way the stitch pattern looked and the versatility the piece advertised.

I wanted to get to work on this project, so I made a fast substitution. (mistake)  The pattern called for 4 balls of Loop D Loop; it has 55 yds per skein and a gauge of 2.5 sts on a size 13.  I purchased 2 skeins of Mirasol Ushya (114 yds, 2.25 on a 15). The pattern says gauge is not critical, but I was a little small.

The pattern calls for a finished size of 10 x 38.  I have a finished size of 9.75 x 31.

Echo Mobius
I have 3 nieces with narrower shoulders and so I will probably pass it on to one of them.

I checked the Interweave Knits website for errata, but didn't find anything.  I also checked Ravelry for any pattern notes.  No one complained about a yarn shortage, but they did mention the bind-off instructions begin as clear as mud!  (There was also some talk about the buttonholes, but I thought those were fine.)

I did not follow the recommendation for the bind-off exactly.  I had been dropping the stitches in the drop zone all along, so I just dropped during the bind off and grabbed the last stitch to bind-off.  (I know that's a poor explanation, but it made the bind-off match the cast-on!)

I could purchase another skein of yarn and make it longer, but the yarn didn't have the drape and shine I decided the project needed.  So, I will look for someone the project will fit!

No comments: