Saturday, February 19, 2011

Five Hour Baby Sweater

(five hours - ha!)


It was a good pattern, top down and quick to knit. I used 2 skeins of Cascade 220 Superwash in Skyline Blue (color 884) on a size 10. I purchased the yarn at Crazy Girl Yarn Shop in Iowa City; they had a nice looking sample done that caught my eye.

I am just not that quick (and I never sit still for a whole five hours at one time to see if I am!) I started the sweater in May 2010, as a 'hope' sweater for my sister. I got scared in June and set it aside. In August, when she announced she was pregnant, I got it back out, but didn't restart until November after the baby was born!

One modification I would like to incorporate -- buttonholes. If and when I make it again, I have a note to add some buttonholes.

I used an afterthought buttonhole from a sweater pattern I made a few years ago. I have never seen instructions for this type of buttonhole anywhere else, and I think it is pretty useful.


Afterthought Buttonholes (Peerie Brocade, Charlie Hada)

With WS facing, insert crochet hook into the strand between sts 2 & 3 (worsted/bulky yarns) [fig.3].
Pull strand until loop is about ½" [fig.4]. Then catch the strand above (marked by arrow) and pull it through loop on hook. Lengthen this second loop and tack it down with a piece of yarn.
Return to the hole you have made and repeat the process in a downward direction.