Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Starting ANOTHER New Project?!?!

It does seem wrong to start another new project, but I need some airport-able knitting for a trip this week. To meet my criteria, the project needs to somewhat compact and there needs to be little to need to reference the pattern.

I pulled out things I had bought over the last year to see who qualified.  My first choice was the Nansen poncho.  I had purchased the yarn just a few weeks ago.  After a lot of thinking about gauge and some planning, and blogging about the joy (where is the sarcastic font when you need it) of yarn substitutions, I cast on and started. The cable pattern is charted and not an intuitive pattern to follow, so I set it aside for the time being.

Next up an infinity scarf, the ShiBui Array.  This yarn was just purchased this month, when searching for the Madelinetosh project.  I had to cast on 320 stitches and join, being careful not to twist -- not easy with 320 stitches on a 24" needle.  (I invested in a new 32" needle.) This project would work, but we are heading for a warmer place and this wouldn't be comfortable poolside knitting.

I started a third project, Summit, with lace weight yarn, and have ripped twice, just not getting things to move as I would like, but I will persevere!

All three are free patterns and I have made yarn changes to all of them.

I have a a list of yarn shops at my destination.  It's always fun to see other yarn shops and yarn doesn't add that much weight to my 'stay under 50 lbs' suitcase!

No comments: